Friday, April 8, 2011

The Lotus Sutra

I am sitting in a cafe reading a guide to The Lotus Sutra.
It is written by Nikkyo Niwano.
Over 8 years ago I had started to study the original text of The Lotus Sutra, which is a record of the last sermon giving by the Buddha Shayamuni before he died.

Before the last few years, almost all I would read were books on Spiritual Philosophy and Psychology. Most of all I was attracted to the Sutras of the Buddha, and other Buddhist and Taoist texts. I appreciated their illuminating nature and their medicinal and meditative attributes.

At the moment, I am also reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Letting my mind and imagination float between a beautiful fantasy, and clear illumination. Since I had mostly been reading non-fiction for many years, I had started to wonder if I could find a satisfying fictional novel. I had bought a few novels. Some old, some new. I attempted to read a few of them, but only managed to finish one of them, with much effort. There was something, which I can't explain, that gave me a feeling of inadequacy while reading them. I guess they just weren't suited for my tastes.
Now that I am reading Lord of the Rings, I can see that it was a matter of taste, and timing, that prevented me from enjoying the other novels that I attempted to read. The Lord of the Rings novels are exactly what I have been looking for. Stories rich with imagination, well planned and written scenarios, an alternate world full of beautiful and fearful lands and animals... at times the story is joyous, a feeling of innocence in wisdom, of dancing freely in high spiritual realms... and at other times, there are great challenges and suspense...
It is certainly far fetched, but it doesn't matter, to me. LOTR provides a good break from the strict and sharp insight of the other books I often read.

The Lotus Sutra guide that I am now reading is concise and an extremely shortened summary of what the author feels are the main points of merit of The Lotus Sutra. It's convenient since it is quite a small book, so it can be carried around easily. However it lacks the richness and unique language and energy of a Sutra's original text.
It is useful in that it helps clarify my mind and enables me to take a step back, and see how I am doing, to see what I am becoming, and points me towards what is useful, and what enables a stable, free and peaceful state of mind. For the Lotus Sutra accepts me as I am, and is an example of what I will be if I keep on reading, walking, sitting, moving and loving with a present mind and a heart full of love. A motivator to stand up and climb up out of myself. A picture of what might happen if I can move beyond fear, and leave my self behind.

1 comment:

  1. 法華経はとても重要な教えと聞いています。
    I've heard of that 法華経 is the most important thoughts in buddhism. When i have more time, i'd like to read that.

    ReplyDelete