Monday, December 19, 2011

Sakura Hotel Jimbocho Tokyo, Checking out.

I have spent four nights at Sakura Hotel in Jimbocho, Tokyo.
It's a decent place for younger guests. People who are used to a backpackers environment, with a touch of care that you don't often find in other such accommodations. The prices are reasonable for shared rooms. All amenities are basic and shared, but kept very clean.
There is a small cafe downstairs that is part of the hotel, with a big TV, where you can have a filtered coffee, snacks, small meals, a bottle of beer etc... The staff are quiet, but are responsive when spoken to.
The location is good, but may be hard to find at first. Just a few minutes from Jimbocho subway station exit A1.
From Shinjuku take the Toei Shinjuku subway line, get off at Jimbocho. Then, From the 'A1' exit, turn left once on the street level, then make another left at the traffic light. Walk down 3 streets, look left, you should see the sign on the left side of the side street.

I finally initiated a conversation with one of the male staff, who might have been 25-27 years old. I had bought something from Tokyu Hands a few day before, and it seemed to be broken. The manual was in Japanese. I thought it might need batteries, but there wasn't any diagram on the manual showing batteries, and I don't have a screw driver to open it and check.
I brought the manual down, and asked him, "Can you help me? I bought this a few days ago, does this manual say I should open it with a driver and put batteries in?" He helped without hesitation, and this opened a window for our communication. I find most Japanese are very reserved, which is lovely. Sometimes it might just take something silly like this to open up communication.
Certainly if you need help, Japanese people are quick to help, if you ask, and if they have the ability to solve your problem. I really appreciate the social attitude of Japanese people, so gentle, yet full of energy.

There was a bit of an awkward moment when I was trying to find the Hotel on the first day. I went in the wrong direction, 6 or 7 blocks. Then again went to far the other way. I stopped at a map, which are scattered around the city blocks, usually by a train or subway station. A lady was also looking at the map, and once she saw that I was looking hard at the map, she asked, "can I help you?"
This was forward in Japanese standards, I was surprised. She seemed to be a very nice, but a bit foolish character. Never-the-less she was genuine, and offered her assistance kindly. As it turned out, she was also lost. Which made me wonder, "why are you helping me if you are also lost?" Anyway she insisted on helping me, I could sense I wasn't going to get away from her until she helped me find my hotel. We went this way and that, she asked people... took me the wrong way a few times, and called out in embarrassment "aahh! gomennasai!" and some other things I couldn't understand. I was embarrassed, she was making quite a scene :) haha. I just wanted to get away and find it myself.
After she got up from bending down and calling out in shame, she popped up and noticed the street sign nearby, it was the road that I was looking for. But, for some reason she wanted to take me across the street and down the other direction... I had to insist "だいじょうぶです、だいじょうぶです。” It's ok, it's ok, really it's ok. Pointing down the road, to gesture that I am going this way wether she liked it or not. Finally she let me go on my way.
In the end, I was glad, she was kind. Japanese people will surprise you if you have the guts to venture out, talk to someone, ask for help, or become a patron in their shop. They are very kind and considerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment