Saturday, December 17, 2011

a night at Starbucks in Jimbocho.


It's cold tonight. I just bought some lip balm, a necessity for my wind blasted drying lips. I think the four hour walk up and down Mount Oyama plus today's chilly wind has taken it's toll. Moisture is needed.

I'm sitting in a Starbucks having a nice warm Soy Latte. That's right a latte, with soy milk. I wouldn't ever have coffee with soy milk back in Australia, or anywhere else mind you. But, since soy is the staple food of Japan, I figured I would try how Japanese soy milk suits coffee. Actually, a Soy Latte at Starbucks in Japan, is second on the menu right under a normal Latte. It thought there must be a reason to have it so visible on the menu. Unlike back home, where soy milk is written in small font, in the optional add-ons section way down at the bottom.
Much to my surprise it actually tastes really good. I am converted. No more heavy milk coffees for me. I'd rather not drink milk at all. It often puts me to sleep, something to do with it being a food for baby cows and not adult humans perhaps. Coffee, which is supposed to be invigorating, mixed with sleepy cow's milk. I'm confused enough as it is, the milk coffee oxymoron might just be the reason why. Not seriously, but maybe.

I am planning a trip tonight, for tomorrow. Although, I'm not sure how I will fare, since my legs are very sore from so much walking, and the hike up a mountain. Not my everyday past-time, but could become one now that I am in Japan. Much appreciation and love for mountains. I'll take a day on a mountain before a day burning on the beach any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment