Monday, June 13, 2011

A day at the Gardens with Emma

Last week I went to the Botanic Gardens at Mount Cootha with my childhood friend Emma. Emma and I grew up together in England, our parents were friends when they were young adults before we were born. Since coming into adulthood ourselves, Emma and I don't see each other very often, as we once had many years ago. But still after all these years, after becoming very different in our own ways, I find there is still some appreciation between us.
I often considered that perhaps we had grown in our different ways, and there wasn't much left of our old friendship to sustain us as friends now. But it seems I was wrong. Our day together at the gardens was nice. I was surprised to hear from Emma that she can recall times when I made her laugh, and she remembers that I had entertained her even when we had met 6 years ago. I was surprised because I often consider myself to be too quiet and not entertaining company. It goes to show that my, and perhaps it is true for many people, that our impression of ourselves are often quite different to how other people see us.

This is a reason, among many other reasons, for not taking ourselves too seriously. To spend more energy in letting go rather than compiling an ego. What serves us well is an ability to be refreshed in life. To be new, to feel new in each moment, and allow things to be without our judgement, is to be free.


Emma showed me this interesting musical chair-like, leaf-like art piece. It can be played like a xylophone. She offered to take a photo of me. Thanks Emma, I am usually to shy to have my photo taken.  
These Gardens are quite nice. There are many paths to walk around and I could feel as if I am in a very natural environment. It calms my mind and senses.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you had a good time with your childhood friend. yes, It's not easy that you keep friendship with old friends.
    You are lucky to have a nice old frindship till now.

    ReplyDelete