Sunday, December 5, 2010

First Attempt: Cheese Soufflé

This afternoon I prepared and baked a Cheese Souffle, my first ever Souffle.
I've never even tasted a souffle before, I am a chef, I work as a chef, graduated cooking college, and yet I have never had to make a souffle, embarrassing but true.
I have a copy of Julia Child's, Mastering the Art of French Cookery, on my laptop.
I read through the basics of souffle preparation, and found that there are many ways to alter a souffle, to create something more personalized, using the standard recipe as a focal point.
I had decided to start with a classic, cheese souffle. To see what is required to prepare, and produce a decent souffle, before deciding if I'd like to go further.
Since I have also not seen many souffles, I wasn't sure how it should look, what a perfect souffle should look like.

I went ahead anyway, following the recipe as closely as I can, and baked my first souffle.
Here's a photo:



おいしいそう?
たべますか?

I thought it looked like it had blown open on the top. But the taste was nice, a very simple taste.

I will make another soon.

When I was in Tokyo last May-June, Aco and I had eaten a Natto Omelette. It was quite nice. Natto taste complimented the egg taste. Perhaps I could try to cook a Natto souffle :) after-all, the basic ingredients of a souffle are eggs, flour and milk. I think I would be quite happy to find some Natto in the middle of a nice baked souffle... well, that just my taste imagination. I will see how it tastes in reality, next time.

1 comment:

  1. It looks nice Adam, good job!
    I think it is a good idea to cook natto soufflé.
    they will be tasty too.

    ReplyDelete