Wednesday, October 27, 2010

1 month @ work

Since the 1st October, I have been working everyday. 12 hours a day, 24 days, roughly 288 hours. Just today I called the office to find out if they have considered sending me home anytime soon. Before making the call, I hadn't heard anything from camp management about going home, I felt I would be out here for perhaps another week, which would make this hitch the longest I have ever worked, and would definitely be testing my patience. While finding out that I am going home, I also learned that I would only have 6 days at home instead of the usual 16. The good thing about having such a short break is that I will have less time to spend money, and I'll be back at work making rather than spending money, before too long.

I'll be going back to Lucas 94, where I first started working for Eastern Well Camp Management (my employer). It's a smaller camp, averaging 20 - 25 workers. CB2, Cooper Basin 2, a Santos camp, where I am working now is much bigger, more organized, and generally more enjoyable. The culture of the workers is noticeably more refined... only by a margin, but it is noticeable. I wonder how I will get on back at Lucas 94... I certainly have learned a bit since I last worked at 94. So, in theory, I should be well prepared which will make my work more enjoyable... no?

As a chef, working twelve hours day after day, I do find myself feeling a bit tired of the same old routine after about ten days. I know it is only my mind that is worn thin by the routine. There is nothing actually wrong with the work or my job. Only my patience and will, my perception and sensory experience is where the problem starts... isn't it? I tend to try to develop a more accepting attitude toward work, and life in general. At times it is hard to simply accept the circumstances of my life. There may be some pain in my back or hip while I work, I may be physically or mentally tired, and this causes the feeling of being, "tired of," or "fed up with." Anyway, I am only human right? Being far from perfect. I can only try to do my best, and put as much of my effort as I can gather into my work and into training myself to accept the less desirable circumstances in life.

I'll be home in two days :)
Can't wait to open Skype and see my dear Aco's sweet smile and hear her voice.

1 comment: